Thursday, February 20, 2014

Horsey Girl

 For those of you who don't know me, I love horses. Have loved them since I was 9 years old. I sat on my first horse with Beth Golson. She had a big ole horse (or that's how I remember him!) named Star who I got to sit on at her family's house.. Then, while on vacation,  I got to go on a trail ride with my Dad up in Colorado at a place called Buckskin Joes. Needless to say, after these two experiences, I was hooked. When we got back from that vacation, I begged my mom for a whole year until she signed me up for riding lessons. I started riding English at Foxbriar Farms in Calhoun under the instruction of Joan Moore and John McQueen.  I feel so lucky that I was able to ride and my parents were so supportive. I met some life long friends riding horses and learned some wonderful life long lessons along the way. When I was 14, my parents bought me my first horse.
(this was Tango in his later years)

He was a skinny 4 year old bay Thoroughbred named Tuta Tango. We just called him Tango. He loved to buck, and bucked his whole life! I have the best memories or riding him and going to horse shows with him.
( I think this was at a horseshoe in Germantown, Tenn)
He was there for me though out all the good times and bad times~ high school, college, a marriage, a divorce, a new marriage, and sadly passed away when I was pregnant with Pearson two years ago. I hate that my children didn't get to meet him. I hope that one day, Pearson and Phoebe will love to ride and I can get them a horse one day.  I now ride out at Lone Oak Farm in Choudrant under the instruction of Meghan Nichols. She and I and her sister Jennifer (who was one of my roommates in college!) grew up riding together at Foxbriar. I am so proud of both of them. They both own their own barns and are very respected in the horse world.
  I know that most of our shirts are sometimes more BOY  friendly, so I wanted to do a special one just for girls and knew it had to be a horse. I didn't want the whole western cowgirl image. It needed to be classier than that, and I wanted something kind of whimsical too. I saw this IPOD case
that I loved on Pinterest and used it for inspiration. I ended up drawing a galloping horse
(The initial pencil drawing)

and surrounded him with fuchsia colored azaleas.
The horse looks strong and the flowers are delicate. This is how I envision my daughter will be. Strong but sensitive. We always see blooming azaleas all over the south.
Love these!! My mother has a bunch in her back yard.
I then also ordered some leggings to go with the shirts that match that bright pink color. The shirts are only available in youth tees right now. Sizes  2t,4t, 6t, 8, 10, and 12. $24 each. Leggings are $18 each.
Shirts and leggings can be ordered online at www.mrpstess.bigcartel.com or purchased in West Monroe at Miss Persnickety Joon on Antique Alley.

Thanks for reading-
Lissy

No comments:

Post a Comment