Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Monreaux the Hippo

About the time that I was working on our Shirley the Elephant design, the Louisiana Purchase Gardens and Zoo were acquiring a very special baby hippo. They were running a contest to name the new baby hippo and "Monreaux" was the big winner. I thought to myself -how cool would it be to draw this new little male "river horse".
 

 

 

 
 When you head over to the zoo, Monreaux is located near the middle of the place. He is located in the same area that Shirley uses to be at. Here is the out side of his space.
And here is the entrance sign with some facts about hippos. When we found him, he was swimming around with his roommate Penelope. He is so much smaller than she is right now, but give him some time, and he will be just as big, if not bigger.
 I was shocked to see he was born in Poland. Wow!!
 He has traveled further than most people will in their life time. He was adorable to say the least. And seems to be getting along quite well with his older female friend. I read that the zoo paid $18,000 for him. Did that include shipping??!! Ha! FYI-the zoo is open year round 7 days a week from 10am-5pm.
   When I was working on this design, I had been thinking in the back of my mind that it was time to do a more female friendly design. "This ones for the girls!!"  I think of our designs as unisex, but many times they lean towards the male side just a little. So, pink long sleeve shirts were ordered and purple was decided on to be the main dominate color. The font was created by yours truly by combining different fonts I found on the Internet. All the lettering is hand drawn.
 


 
 I love the playfulness  of it bc this is how I envision Monreaux to be - young and full of life!! At first it was just going to be offered in a youth size, but we had so many people message us about wanting it in an adult size, that we decided to add the adult ones too. The long sleeve shirt is the American Apparel brand that is so popular. Made in America-sweatshop free. Youth sizes are 2,4,6,8 $26 and adult S-XL $31.
   Order online at www.mrpstees.bigcartel.com or get one in West Monroe at Miss Persnickety Joon on Antique Alley.

On a side note, I am feeling much better from my fractured pelvis. Therapy and time have helped (and thankfully youth!). I am almost 6 weeks out from the accident. Still going to therapy but now walking unassisted. Thanks for all the prayers, cards, calls, meals, etc etc etc...

No comments:

Post a Comment