Thursday, March 13, 2014

A Giraffe with Southern Roots....

  As a lot of you know, I was lucky enough to go on a life changing mission trip to Tanzania, Africa back in 2007 to help my friend Kay Frost. It was AMAZING!!!
We painted with kids,
talked to locals about Jesus and even got to go on a safari. I had literally had my very first date with Brent a week before this trip. He had come over and cooked me dinner and I was impressed!! I remember walking around Africa trying to find him a really cool drum to bring him back as a gift. My how time flies.....I pray that I get to go back there one day and even take our children to see this wonderful place. Africa truly stole my heart....
  Anyway, back to Kay. :)
  She is a local West Monroe, Louisiana girl. She went to West Monroe High School and  Louisiana Tech and has been a member of First West forever.  She first moved to Tanzania in 2004 and lived in different cities/villages such as Mwanza, Iringa, and Biharmulo.  She speaks Swahili and the locals love her. I witnessed this myself. She has a way of being tough and firm and honest with the kids and they respect her for it.
She is in Mwanza now and her focus is helping widows, orphans and street kids.  Her mission is
" Seeking to Transform Tanzania with the Gospel of Jesus Christ by living out Matthew 18:10-14 and James 1:27 serving widows, orphans and at-risk youth".  
You may of recently heard her speak at First West when she was home for a visit.
Her website/blog is www.kayintz.com
and be sure to "Like" her Transform Tanzania on Facebook.

   Brent and I feel like it is important to try and help a charity each year with a special shirt. Last year, we did the bearded duck shirt that raised over $1300 to help our local Food Bank of NELA. Now, we are wanting to help Kay with her Transform Tanzania project.  Since the Giraffe is the national animal of Tanzania, we def knew we had to use it.
(the initial drawing)
And, since all of our shirts are somehow tied to Louisiana and the South, we threw a couple of pairs of cowboy boots on him. Love him!! I had originally envisioned his boots to be red.
I was inspired by a very special pair of red boots that close friend Rachel Saucier Knox's husband owns. Travis's red boots ROCK!
But, in the end, we decided to keep the whole shirt neutral.
 So, 15% of each shirt will go to help her mission. This is through First West Church.  We have printed it on youth/toddler tees
(sizes 2t, 4t, 6t, 8, 10 and 12. $24 each)
, on adult tees
(sizes S-XXL. $28)
 and even a few of those long maxi dresses that everyone adores. They are available to order online NOW at www.mrpstees.bigcartel.com, and then we will have them for sale in person at the Junior League Spring Market next weekend (March 21-23)
(Brent is shown wearing an adult large)


   As always, thank you for reading and supporting us!! We love getting your fan pics and seeing you guys around town in our tees.

Love
Lissy

No comments:

Post a Comment