Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Solo Art Retreat...Heaven in Vicksburg

Very thankful for the much needed last few days. The Hubs and I made a deal that I could get away for a weekend to work on our spring and summer designs after hunting season was over for him. Let me tell ya, I was READY!!!! I love my two P's, but they wear me out. Two under two is tough,tough,tough. So, I booked myself a room at Aherns Belle of the Woods  (www.belleofthebends.com)  in Vicksburg.
Trip Advisor said it was the #1 B&B so that must be so ;). Neat place. Built in 1876. An Italianate mansion.The owner Mary was personable and helpful. My room was quite large

and my bathroom had a tub (prerequisite if you know me!!). There is even a 170 year old crape myrtle there.


   I immediately got to work drawing out designs--the clock of was ticking!! After getting one finished , I header over to Rusty's Riverfront Grill (www.rustysriverfront.com)
. Delicious! Thank you to all who suggested it to me on FB. You guys were right--The fried green tomatoes with crab were heavenly.
Worth driving over from West Monroe for. But, get there early bc this place fills up quick. I sat at the bar beside some strangers and by the end of our meals, we were all sharing desert! Don't you just love the South ;). Then,  I got back to my room and worked till midnight on our designs.
I got a Louisiana Black Bear drawn that I really really love.
Did you know that is our state mammal.? Anyway, after a long soak in the tub, I crashed.
  Next morning, breakfast was served~ eggs, biscuits , gravy, fried apples, sausage ,etc.
Met a nice couple from Hattisburg. Then, back to drawing ;). By noon, I was stiff from sitting in bed so I went for a jog over at the Vicksburg Military Park It was quite large and hilly!
 But very pretty. Yes- I can run again since my accident but I do ache a little when I do.

 At the suggestion of Mary, I went and had lunch at the coolest funkiest little place off Hwy 61 South (like you are headed to Natchez) called The Tomato Place (www.thetomatoplace.com)
It's basically two shacks. Looks like a produce stand from the road. Reminded me of Sara's Kitchen in Ruston but with more color. Felt like I was walking into this secret club as I peeled back the plastic visqueen entrance.
Food was good, atmosphere was great for the creative soul and the lemonade was tasty.
Then, after a quick trip to outlets, it was time for a big long nap!! Hahaha. Pure heaven ;). When I finally woke up, I worked some more before heading off to dinner at Walnut Hill (www.walnuthillsrest.com)
LOvED this place!! Two cool dudes sang the Blues (they do this every Fri and Sat night 6-9)
and I had their amazing Fried Chicken-YUm!!!- guys, Im serious about some fried chicken-this was GOOD!
This Southern plantation home was built in the 1880's. I didn't get to sit at their famous round table since it was just me
, but I will def come back with a group to do so.
  Once back in my room, I worked till midnight again. I don't want to give too much away, but I'm excited about our new girl shirt. I also came up with a new Warhawk (promise we will have plenty of youth tees in this!) and new a Bulldawg design. I think total, there are 12 new designs. I'm feeling quite accomplished, and rested all in the same time. Sunday morning after breakfast, I took one last jog around DowntownVicksburg before I left.
Love old brick streets.
Two thumbs up for Vicksburg. And now back to reality..
  Big thanks to Brent for watching the kiddos!! Cant wait to do this again in another town-Natchez maybe??

Thanks as always for reading~
Lissy

P.S. Our first batch of Krewe of Black Bayou shirts sold out super fast-if you didn't get one, no worries, we have another batch on order and should be ready around the end of Jan.
www.mrpstees.bigcartel.com




No comments:

Post a Comment